Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dads Visit Mrs. Cook's 2nd Grade Class!

In second grade (at least Mrs. Cook's class) she asked some of us to ask our fathers if they would come in and talk about there jobs. My dad came in to talk about American Motors (he was a service manager for Kobbe & Flannery). My dad was so psyched to do that. He brought a film on the design, engineering and manufacturing of Ramblers, he also brought pins to give out, brochures, postcards, etc. Jill Neandross' dad (Leif Neandross) - who owned the Four Poster furniture store at the Garden State Plaza - gave us a tour of his store. Katie Knight's dad - a United Airlines pilot - also came in and talked about his career and gave us wings! I remember - being a boy - finding that one to be very interesting. Mr. Perdue - who owned Perdue's Sport Shop in Ridgewood - visited the class and gave everyone a tennis ball. Lisa Faeth - who's dad worked in some way with the space program, gave us all toy space capsules! Karen Eide remembers how excited she was when her dad (he worked for AT&T) came to speak to us and gave us all phone keychains! Does anyone remember other dads that came to talk about their careers?

The Perdue Sport Shop was a staple in town for years. You could always spot Beth's dad around town cause he had this cool woody he drove that also advertised his shop.

Amazingly, my mom had kept these letters my classmates wrote to my dad thanking him for speaking to the class. The letters were written June 18, 1963. I will type most of them here but I have to post a couple of them - Corey Duvall's, Katherine the Knight's, Jennifer Rudy's and Carey Hoff's. You'll get a kick out of these:












Dear Mr. Flannery,

I liked the pictures you gave to us. And I liked the pins you gave to us. I hope you will come in again some time. Your Friend, Richard (Richie Spell)

Your Friend, Richard (Richie Spell)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for coming. Your talk was good. Thank you for giving us the pin, picture, and papers. I liked the Rambler.

Your Friend, Ken (Merrill)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for the things you gave us. Thank you for coming. I hope you can come again.

Your Friend, Barbara (Durheimer)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for coming to the class. Your talk was very nice. Selling Ramblers must be nice. The film was nice and long. The things you gave me were nice too. You are a nice man.

Your Friend, Lisa (Faeth)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for coming. It was very nice of you. Thank you for showing us the movie. Thank you for the things. You are a very nice man.

Your Friend, Ellen


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for everything. I am glad you came. The book is very nice. Thank you for coming.

Your Friend, Penny (Ward)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

I hope you have a happy summer. Thank you for coming. Your work is interesting. I like the Rambler its's a good car. Thank you for showing us the movies.

Your Friend, Susan N (Nunno)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for coming. I liked the film and the books. I liked the Ramblers very much.

Your Friend, Randy (Sharp)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

I liked the movie you brought us. I liked the picture you gave us. I do not know why you gave us the picture.

Your Friend, Art (Brierley)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for coming to our class room. I liked the film you had. I hope you will come again. I like Rambler models.

Your Friend, Jan K (Koper)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for coming in to the class room. It was nice of you. You are a nice man. Thank you for the cards and the xray book and the picture.

Your Friend, Jill Neandross


Dear Mr. Flannery,

I liked the film about the Rambler. The clay that they used, if they don't want it I will!

Your Friend, Robbie


Dear Father,

Thank you for the postcards and the pins. I liked the film.

Your Son, Ricky (Flannery)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for coming to our class. I liked the movie you showed us. And I liked the things you gave us too. The Rambler is a very nice car. Thank you again.

Your Friend, Beth Perdue


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for showing us the movie. The movie was very interesting. Thank you for everything. I hoped you liked the part of the play that you saw.

Your Friend, Bruce (Meneghin)


Dear Mr. Flannery,

Thank you for coming in and talking to us about your job. Your job is very interesting. Thank you for showing us the film. Thank you again.

Your Friend, Karen Eide

No comments:

Post a Comment